Tremulous mapping: forum section / map maker question

Maps on server and map requests

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

God, maker of the world
Dretch
Dretch

Tremulous mapping: forum section / map maker question

#1 Post by God, maker of the world » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Are there any Tremulous map makers running around in this forum? If so, I suggest that a new forum section for mapping is made.

Also, I have a question for the mappers:

Can logical "AND" connections be made? Example: Two trigger_multiple zones are "somehow" connected to a door. The door only opens when both zones are occupied by a player. This requires a logical "AND" connection. Can such a thing somehow be wired though the triggers and all the stuff that exists in gtkradiant for Trem?

Prophet
Dretch
Dretch

#2 Post by Prophet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm

I am working on a map right now.. But I suppose it doesn't really matter... As I've seen you around on another certain forum :P

BTW just saying if you cant get this logical "and" connection to work, you could always make two doors close to each other.

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#3 Post by Rotacak » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm

I think that new mapping section would be empty :)

Operation AND does not exist there. I was thinking about same situation, but I figured only this: Make room with doubled doors (two doors). One zone will open only one door, so you need to go to both zones.

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#4 Post by Iltavuo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Advanced Map patch might offer something like that (haven't really looked into it). You could make it so that both zones have triggers/buttons, but the one that opens the door is inaccessable while other one isn't been pressed. Either a very thin plate that covers the other trigger on the floor or a glass casing covering the button or something similar. I've a few long term mapping projects going on myself.

God, maker of the world
Dretch
Dretch

#5 Post by God, maker of the world » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Obviously, there are able mappers here. Maybe a mapper section wouldn't be that empty after all.

The suggestions won't help, though. I had several ideas for which I would need an "AND" connection. One of them is this one:

A map with a programmable soundtracker. Buildings are used to mark the active spots in the soundtracker-matrix. The !layoutsave command can be used to save songs (which would just be patterns, not whole songs, I guess).

For the time being, try "gmotw_pianolessons" :) Remember the floor piano scene in "Big"? I can't get that song out of my head since I had the idea for this.

550kb http://senduit.com/79f1a5 Link expires in one week. (It's an early alpha.)

EDIT: After some thinking and some talking to Redman (on RfunserverCZ), I've found a theoretical solution:

To create an AND gate, a literal gate can be used. A push-platform throws a human upwards. There is a trigger_multiple in the air that senses if the human was thrown up. And there is a door in mid air that prevents the human from arriving there. An AND gate. :)

A better solution is to put buildables on a moving platform. For example: A train could be used to carry a lot of turrets. A trigger_buildable plays a sound when a turret passes by. On funserver, humans can make buildings on moving platforms afaik. But even if not: Then the soundtracker pattern can be programmed by destroying or deconning buildings.

Sounds like an easy solution: A few trains drive through a hall. There is some red forcefield kinda thing in the middle of the hall that contains the trigger_buildable. Each train triggers a different sound.

Too bad (but not fatal) that the trigger_buildable can only sense if there is a building but not which kind of building it is. I know, the manual says different. The manual is wrong, I tested it several times. The trigger reacts always, no matter what value is given to "buildable" or "buildables".

Nomad
Server supporter
Server supporter

#6 Post by Nomad » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Do someone know why all my common/textures are red?

I made origin brush, but it's red-black (like missing shader or wtf)

redman said it should be orange o.O

God, maker of the world
Dretch
Dretch

#7 Post by God, maker of the world » Sat May 01, 2010 5:29 pm

gmotw_pianolessons - play piano, program drum sequence

http://senduit.com/dbf2bc

1.1mb

Link expires in 1 week.

Do "/map gmotw_pianolessons" to play.

I actually figured out a way to make logical AND connections in standard Tremulous 1.1.0 using doors. :)

Additionally (but not used in this map), the trigger_delay might be usable to make logical inversions (NOT) because it doesn't deliver its signal before the signal that triggers the trigger_delay has stopped.

Oh, you can save your patterns with !layoutsave. :)

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#8 Post by Rotacak » Sat May 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Hehe, interesing. But that piano is for nothing?

BTW, missing textures there.

ani
Granger
Granger

#9 Post by ani » Sat May 01, 2010 8:23 pm

hello guys. !!:D

can someone explain me this error ?

God, maker of the world
Dretch
Dretch

#10 Post by God, maker of the world » Sun May 02, 2010 12:57 pm

@Rota: These are all mapping related posts. A mapping forum section wouldn't be empty. // The piano texture should be fixed in next release. I forgot that the black and white texture are in the gtkradiant data pack, not in the standard trem maps or data pack. And it's just for fun. You know. A playable piano in Tremulous. The map can be played on "Drazilox's good old gurgle" server, by the way. An alpha of my "gmotw_skybox", too.

@Nomad: The "origin" common texture is indeed orange. Did you install your mapping software etc. a while ago, and now suddenly the texture is red instead of orange? Do you use gtkradiant 1.5.0? Did you install everything according to this (http://tremmapping.pbworks.com/) tutorial?

@ani: Did you start q3map2 directly from netradiant? If so, what options did you use? I use a frontend for q3map2 on Windows called "Q3Map2Build v1.0.25". It generates batch files, so it's easy to verify what parameters had really been given to q3map2.

Well, and I have a weird mapping problem. I made one node, but Tremulous tells me that I have 1 spawn remaining even after I decon that node!

I posted that in the [W]onderland forum. They have a mapping section there, you know.

http://dtrem.com/wonderland/forum/viewt ... 42&p=11483

God, maker of the world
Dretch
Dretch

#11 Post by God, maker of the world » Tue May 04, 2010 3:46 am

Node-error fixed. Details are in the thread I linked to. In that mapping section the [W]onderland forum has. /rubbingitin

ani
Granger
Granger

#12 Post by ani » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:23 pm

hello!!
does someone have an idea about how to do a snake head for this pillar ?

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#13 Post by Iltavuo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Make a model with blender/gmax/milkshape/what ever you prefer and add it with misc_model entity

ani
Granger
Granger

#14 Post by ani » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:46 am

okay ill try it ^^
i have blender

ani
Granger
Granger

#15 Post by ani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 pm

good evening, sry for the double post but it has nothing to see with the last reply.

i don't understand the atcs' forcefield script

textures/atcs/force_field_s
{
qer_editorimage textures/atcs/force_field_gtk.tga
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nolightmap
cull none
{
map textures/atcs/force_field.tga
tcMod Scroll .1 0
blendFunc add
}
{
map textures/atcs/force_grid.tga
tcMod Scroll -.01 0
blendFunc add
rgbgen wave sin .2 .2 0 .4
}
}

in the "textures" folder of atcs, i see force_field.jpg and force_grid.jpg but no tga files.
furthermore, i don't know what force_field_gtk.tga is (it's not in "textures" folder either)