Granger_field_a1

Maps on server and map requests

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

Spl@
Server supporter
Server supporter

#16 Post by Spl@ » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Lanac wrote:OK, this is the newest and skyboxed with space skybox
You could have reduced the dimensions of those screenshots before uploading them… 1920×1080 means either a lot of horizontal scrolling, use of the browser's zoom function, or stretching the window across more than one monitor.

Replace with thumbnails and links, perhaps? :idea:
Oh look. Killed again. Back to the tent…

Lanac
Tyrant
Tyrant

#17 Post by Lanac » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Help, dont post useless posts.
My Youtube Channel:
Please help my ass and click on link, im a poor bitch...(+ ill make some trem videos too :D)
http://adf.ly/2qaKp

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#18 Post by Quarko » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Spl@ wrote:
You could have reduced the dimensions of those screenshots before uploading them… 1920×1080 means either a lot of horizontal scrolling, use of the browser's zoom function, or stretching the window across more than one monitor.

I agree, you could also place a nice border around a screenshots. Something acidic would be nice and alienish I think. That would give your screenshots much better first impression.
Also you should work on saturation of the screenshots and color balance. Lens flair effects can be added for a nice visual boost, currently screenshots do not look spicy at all.
Overall screenshots are statisfying, but you should really listen to Spl@ and my advices, then they will be perfect.

Spl@
Server supporter
Server supporter

#19 Post by Spl@ » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Quarko wrote:I agree, you could also place a nice border around a screenshots. Something acidic […]
That would be overdoing it just a little :-)

It's not the screenshot content: it's the size, and what that does to the width of the page and the readability of the text.
Oh look. Killed again. Back to the tent…

Lanac
Tyrant
Tyrant

#20 Post by Lanac » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Cave asteriod=done, need testing
Make new meteor model=done
rotate models=no need, new meteor is preaty much same from all sides
Larger map and more meteors to make tiny space=not done
particle=no, still dont know how to make one
My Youtube Channel:
Please help my ass and click on link, im a poor bitch...(+ ill make some trem videos too :D)

sindarus
Marauder
Marauder

#21 Post by sindarus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Spl@ wrote:You could have reduced the dimensions of those screenshots before uploading them… 1920×1080 means either a lot of horizontal scrolling, use of the browser's zoom function, or stretching the window across more than one monitor.

+1

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Lanac wrote:Help, dont post useless posts.

the post he posted was usefull, when i opened the topic i thought "GTFO WITH YOUR GIANTS PICS, we can see nothing at all"

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#22 Post by Quarko » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 am

the post he posted was usefull, when i opened the topic i thought "GTFO WITH YOUR GIANTS PICS, we can see nothing at all"
Guys, are you crazy? These are DEV screenshots. They are made of a unreleased map to show some specific progress. Why the hell should mapper invest 30+ minutes of his time to make them pretty? He should better invest that time to add more features to his map and make another fast and dirty screenshot to show an update on his progress. If he needs to waste 30 minutes EACH time he wants to show updates on his map - he better not show ANY screenshots at all until final release.

So Lanac, please ignore that ungrateful bastards and do whatever size screenshots are fastest to do.
That would be overdoing it just a little
That was a bunch of irony I hoped you'd understand.

P.S. Screenshots look great on my 1920x1200 resolution.

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#23 Post by Iltavuo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:25 am

While I don't have any problem with the images, I know they would be a pita if I didn't have a high resolution screen or if I were browsing these forums with a mobile device for example. Just adding links to the images wouldn't take anymore time than adding the image tags. It's not like he has to do it, but Lanac could at least be a bit nicer. Spl@ initial post was quite friendly and he was barely suggesting a few things, which in my opinion are improvements, far from useless. It's debatable whether they are required here or not though. Lanac could at least tell us why it was in his opinion useless, so we could try avoiding such posts in the future.

Lanac
Tyrant
Tyrant

#24 Post by Lanac » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Quarko wrote:
Guys, are you crazy? These are DEV screenshots. They are made of a unreleased map to show some specific progress. Why the hell should mapper invest 30+ minutes of his time to make them pretty? He should better invest that time to add more features to his map and make another fast and dirty screenshot to show an update on his progress. If he needs to waste 30 minutes EACH time he wants to show updates on his map - he better not show ANY screenshots at all until final release.

So Lanac, please ignore that ungrateful bastards and do whatever size screenshots are fastest to do.
That would be overdoing it just a little
That was a bunch of irony I hoped you'd understand.

P.S. Screenshots look great on my 1920x1200 resolution.
Ofc, i dont care for screen reso, only when map is for public, then ill make em smaller. SO, this is what i made:
Meteor:
http://imgur.com/5cHsO
Alien base?(the big hollow sphere, needs some floors and cool things:
http://imgur.com/OWsRZ
My Youtube Channel:

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#25 Post by Quarko » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I think that white hedgehog thing has too much unneeded polygons which will lag horribly on bad PC's. You should really make it less complex :)

Lanac
Tyrant
Tyrant

#26 Post by Lanac » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

aaah, what?
I just used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcVVOvKXX0
Untill the trail or particle system thingy. If u think to make it less spiky, ill do it, ill just lower the height of spike's.
My Youtube Channel:

PPNL
Server supporter
Server supporter

#27 Post by PPNL » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Love it, but the wall + floor has same texture??
I Maul Ya
McDretch
McRauder
*PPNL MAULED **
*PPNL ZaPP ZaPP
Sky Mauler
O_o

Lanac
Tyrant
Tyrant

#28 Post by Lanac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 am

Quarko, do i need to make spikes shorter or less spikes?
My Youtube Channel:

GLaDOS
Granger
Granger

#29 Post by GLaDOS » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 am

Spl@ wrote:

Get a bigger monitor. Perhaps a 22 inch? I Lanac's images without any horizontal scrolling :o

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#30 Post by Quarko » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 am

Lanac wrote:Quarko, do i need to make spikes shorter or less spikes?
Less spikes. It does not matter if they are long or short, if you stretch them - you will be stretching same amount of polygons. Imagine having a model of a human and then making it 5 times smaller - will it get less polygons? No, all polygons will become smaller.

So better make less spikes and make them more edgy (as less curved borders as possible).