Extreme Sudden Death

Fun and interesting screenshots and demos

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

MegaMedic
Granger
Granger

Extreme Sudden Death

#1 Post by MegaMedic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 pm

What do you think about to add Extreme Sudden Death on server?

What is ESD? Well, at extreme sudden death both teams don't have spawns. You need to survive without die and see which team win.

This can be: At min 30 - sudden death. At min 50 - ESD.

Would you like a thing like this?

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

#2 Post by lamefun » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm

no

perpetual stalemate games are the best

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#3 Post by Pikachu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 pm

I submitted a very similar idea but people said they prefer to draw games.
zap zap zap

imp
Basilisk
Basilisk

#4 Post by imp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:46 am

Back in the days i remember every server having ESD and ppl weren't complain because it was normal. Also it was pretty much fun :d .
Now i think that maybe better idea would be implementing ESD and make it able to vote not to trigger it if both teams would decide they r willing to fight and game is decent, instead of normal not ESD and vote for kind of it - draw, which is lose for most pll.

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#5 Post by Redman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:14 am

A few years ago RCZ (the 1.1 one) used to have armageddon, which would destroy all defensive buildings if vote passed.
Also known as the invisible man.

imp
Basilisk
Basilisk

#6 Post by imp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 am

Good idea. Still i would prefer voting to prevent armageddon instead of voting it to happen.

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by Weed » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:08 am

i remember vampire sudden death :D

Raptor
Granger
Granger

#8 Post by Raptor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 pm

u have armageddon in ye
Beware THE CREATOR OF THE GRANGER!

nalf
Granger
Granger

Re: Extreme Sudden Death

#9 Post by nalf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm

MegaMedic wrote:What do you think about to add Extreme Sudden Death on server?

Would you like a thing like this?
ESD encourages camping - the team that camps is more likely to win.

This is especially true with UBP. UBP and ESD aren't very compatible. The whole point of UBP is to have longer games. During ESD with UBP, no team has a chance of winning by killing an enemy base, so the only way how to win is to eliminate the opponents. Clearly, the best strategy is then to camp in a heavily armed base and wait for them to come.

Even with standard SD, the scenario is mostly the same: One team camps and builds a heavily armed fortress. The other team spreads out, build the first one in, and pushes the attack hard, yet unable to penetrate the defenses until SD. After SD, the camping team kills outposts of the other team (because they aren't as heavily armed), and eventually kills their base, because it has less defenses than the campers' base. In other words, campers win. I don't like that.

This is why I promote the contrary for UBP - no Sudden Death at all. If one team camps, the other team can build them in and build support buildings near the battle front, increasing its chances of winning. This works even much better with the Refinery/Creep Colony mod, because the camping team has only a limited number of build points.

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

#10 Post by lamefun » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:22 pm

nalf wrote:The other team spreads out, build the first one in, and pushes the attack hard, yet unable to penetrate the defenses until SD. After SD, the camping team kills outposts of the other team (because they aren't as heavily armed), and eventually kills their base, because it has less defenses than the campers' base. In other words, campers win. I don't like that.
Team = aliens, because aliens are cheat fleers. Human run on alien base is usually a suicide, since they have no means to flee. Aliens just go as goon, fire 3 barbs, kill something, retreat. Human goes with luci suit, kills something and dies.

nalf
Granger
Granger

#11 Post by nalf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:24 pm

lamefun wrote:
nalf wrote: Team = aliens, because aliens are cheat fleers. Human run on alien base is usually a suicide, since they have no means to flee. Aliens just go as goon, fire 3 barbs, kill something, retreat. Human goes with luci suit, kills something and dies.
Yes, most of the time humans camp, although I've seen also the opposite.

But otherwise, I'd disagree. Goon fires 2 barbs and is hit by a luci camper. Most of the time goon can fire just one barb and retreat safely, unless he finds an undefended spot.

And, Trem is a team game. A lone human attacking is of course a pointless suicide. But one human with a luci and two supporting with chainguns are pretty deadly and have enough power to cover a retreat.

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#12 Post by grmg.pl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 pm

nalf wrote:And, Trem is a team game. A lone human attacking is of course a pointless suicide. But one human with a luci and two supporting with chainguns are pretty deadly and have enough power to cover a retreat.
Thats beautiful theory and ONLY theory. Situations like these, where a group of h goes together, does some damage to a base and then retreats covering eachother is very rare.

Most of the time some apt human builds a forward and then half of the team semi-camps the forward while slowly grinding the hives/eggs.

1. Disable medis, regeneration, poison. Start lowering set amount of hp per time unit.
2. Tie the amount of hp restored to player to the damage he inflicted on other team (players and structures).

Now you have to attack or you will die all time. Here, problem solved :D

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#13 Post by Weed » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm

grmg.pl wrote:
nalf wrote:And, Trem is a team game. A lone human attacking is of course a pointless suicide. But one human with a luci and two supporting with chainguns are pretty deadly and have enough power to cover a retreat.
Thats beautiful theory and ONLY theory. Situations like these, where a group of h goes together, does some damage to a base and then retreats covering eachother is very rare.

Most of the time some apt human builds a forward and then half of the team semi-camps the forward while slowly grinding the hives/eggs.

1. Disable medis, regeneration, poison. Start lowering set amount of hp per time unit.
2. Tie the amount of hp restored to player to the damage he inflicted on other team (players and structures).

Now you have to attack or you will die all time. Here, problem solved :D
vampire sudden death

Fang152
Marauder
Marauder

#14 Post by Fang152 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 pm

nalf wrote: This is why I promote the contrary for UBP - no Sudden Death at all. If one team camps, the other team can build them in and build support buildings near the battle front, increasing its chances of winning.
Its just my opinion nalfy but I didn't much enjoy those 300 minute games they caused - although I know some people loved them.

nalf
Granger
Granger

#15 Post by nalf » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:00 am

Fang152 wrote:
nalf wrote: This is why I promote the contrary for UBP - no Sudden Death at all. If one team camps, the other team can build them in and build support buildings near the battle front, increasing its chances of winning.
Its just my opinion nalfy but I didn't much enjoy those 300 minute games they caused - although I know some people loved them.
I know those games were long. (We (me + CU|ams) have some ideas how to improve that, but I've had neither time nor desire to implement them.)

But still, I liked those games better than current RCZ games with UBP+SD. It's not uncommon to have 2h games on RCZ, but It's mostly the same: two big bases far apart (because forward bases were destroyed after SD), so attackers have to walk a long way to attack the other base. It gets boring after some time and has less action than games where both team build and spawn near the battle front.

(BTW your signature seems to be too big :-P.)