Idea: Eye and Radar

Fun and interesting screenshots and demos

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

Idea: Eye and Radar

#1 Post by lamefun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 am

There are big maps with lots of routes in R Unlimited CZ where it's very hard to watch every route the enemy can enter the base. Sometimes an enemy sneak-attacks the base using an unprotected route. Aliens may never notice that. Humans have DCs, but they don't tell the part of the base that was attacked, so humans must search for it. I have an idea that makes it easier to maintain giant bases - add radar for humans and eye for aliens. Radar should see all the buildings within a sphere of a certain radius. Eye should see all the buildings in its line of sight. When a seen building is attacked, the eye or radar reports the location of that building in addition to "Our base is under attack" message.

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#2 Post by Quarko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 am

So each time a dretch jumps on the turret all humans will be spammed with "Frontal base is under heavy attack OMG OMG WE ARE GONNA DIE!" ?

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

#3 Post by lamefun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:16 am

Nope, dretches can't attack building. Also, the radar could also report what aliens are in its range and how many.

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#4 Post by grmg.pl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 am

lamefun wrote:Nope, dretches can't attack building. Also, the radar could also report what aliens are in its range and how many.
It should also dispatch 10 bot chainsuits in response to the threat.

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#5 Post by Quarko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 am

lamefun wrote:Nope, dretches can't attack building. Also, the radar could also report what aliens are in its range and how many.
Whaat? How comes dretches can't attack buildings? I've been killing turrets with dretches for over 2 years and now I get to know I can't do it...

Anyway, the idea probably is somewhat useful (coming from lamefun - yes, unexpected), but is impossible to implement it the way it can be useful. Here's why:
1) Lots of spam for all humans in huge games (5+ players in each team). I get constant "Our base is under attack" spam in such games, and with "Radar" I'd also get a lot of other crap on screen.
2) What about cooperation? If aliens are rushing your main base your team should start shouting "OMFG GET YOUR ARSES OVER HERE MORONS". With "Radar" teamplay gets slightly less useful.
3) Possible abuse. For example run with 3 rants near frontal base, and immediately run to kill human secondary base. Humans will receive the message that front base is under attack and go there, while aliens start killing the other base. This technique basically renders the Radar useless.

P.S. Anyway, lamefun seems to be making slight progress, his ideas are becoming slightly less lame :P

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

#6 Post by lamefun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 am

You can kill turrets with dretches in 1.1, but not in 1.2.

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by Redman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Whaat? How comes dretches can't attack buildings? I've been killing turrets with dretches for over 2 years and now I get to know I can't do it...
lol, he's a 1.2 player.

My comments to Quarko's reasons (about the idea being impossible to implement):
1) I see three ways to avoid spam:
- use printing to chat and timers that prevent multiple messages to appear at once
- use cp to display informations
- add some stuff to hud that would show which radar detected something
2) Some people don't understand or don't care about people shouting that the base is under attack. Radar would force them to come back and defend the base.
3) You forgot that humans could build another radar in secondary base.
There are also problems that Quarko didn't think of:
1) Where would location names for radars come from? Building from command line (/build radar main base) is too hard for noobs and typing in radar name in some menu would be too annoying.
2) Placing eyes. Not everywhere you can place eye so that it would see entire base / base entrance.
3) Imagine you're a human playing on ATCS. You're attacking aliens base from tunnel and suddenly some rant killed you from behind and there was no warning from radar. How? Tyrant just walked past radar without damaging them so radar didn't even detect him.
Also known as the invisible man.

Lancer
Tyrant
Tyrant

#8 Post by Lancer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm

grmg.pl wrote:
It should also dispatch 10 bot chainsuits in response to the threat.
Why 10, 30 is better.
Also send 15 tyrants, 5 goons and 300 dretches for Aliens?
Care to check out Jucaspel?

http://on.fb.me/16BFTKE

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#9 Post by Redman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Why 10, 30 is better.
Quake 3 engine won't allow more than 64 players. :(

... but, dretches could be non-player entities, where the limit is 1024 :D
Also known as the invisible man.

Quarko
Server supporter
Server supporter

#10 Post by Quarko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Redman wrote:
Why 10, 30 is better.
Quake 3 engine won't allow more than 64 players. :(

... but, dretches could be non-player entities, where the limit is 1024 :D
Yeah, we need a dretch particle!

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#11 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Actually this is part of game. The message is just to make you feel like defending or attacking. Its one of ways to let aliens attack. With that radar or eye the game would be unbalanced. Try to remember times when you were sneaking and quietly killing enemy base "juz cuz they suk and didnt defend Ha Ha Ha"
The nodding of the head once to symbolize a greeting, cuz we white folk to damn lazy to open our mouths and speak up. Nods are also easier to shake off than a flase "hello".
"Person nods at you", or your direction, "you nod back"

lamefun
Dretch
Dretch

#12 Post by lamefun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 am

Redman wrote: 1) Where would location names for radars come from? Building from command line (/build radar main base) is too hard for noobs and typing in radar name in some menu would be too annoying.
2) Placing eyes. Not everywhere you can place eye so that it would see entire base / base entrance.
3) Imagine you're a human playing on ATCS. You're attacking aliens base from tunnel and suddenly some rant killed you from behind and there was no warning from radar. How? Tyrant just walked past radar without damaging them so radar didn't even detect him.
1) For unnamed radars it should use map locations.
2) You can place multiple eyes, it's UBP.
3) Uhm, it could also report aliens that get near it.

The_ThInG
Granger
Granger

#13 Post by The_ThInG » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 am

lol just add a flying basilisk so it will remove jet camp....
best idea ever? meh
I'm a Otaku , Also a Vocaloid Fan...

Lancer
Tyrant
Tyrant

#14 Post by Lancer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Flying basilisk eh...

Flyilisk! :D
Care to check out Jucaspel?

http://on.fb.me/16BFTKE

ViruS
Dretch
Dretch

#15 Post by ViruS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 pm

I don't like unlimited bp servers, but i'll give a recommendation:

You know how human radar works right? that other guy gave me an idea:

If the buildable is under attack, and its within radar range, a red circle will expand from that buildable on the radar. :D

I just am not sure about marauder zap rushes though, they can be a pain to see 1234567123981423 4395727561874513984562119834623 red circles on ur radar, making it cover your whole radar or screen (for those who use full-screen radars)
ULTRA Random ViruS