Post anything else

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

Removal of IRC tax

#1 Post by epicaldude » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

Finally!

The TAX on using IRC has been removed in most countries.

Even in 卐fascism卐 promoting countries/regions like most of EU and USA!

So now when you join us on IRC you can just leave the connection in background all time, like if it would be Skype or other IM.

/server irc.rizon.net
/join #rcz

take an IRC client, for linux xchat or konversation or console irssi, for lamedows there was chatzilla and few others solutions too. (Much better then webchat e.g. for the notifications.)
Last edited by epicaldude on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#2 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Wtf?
No one wants to put tax on IRC channels in USA and no one has. No one uses it.

A lot of "ones", no?
tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#3 Post by epicaldude » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 pm

[{USATREM}] !Gunther! wrote:Wtf?
No one wants to put tax on IRC channels in USA and no one has.
Oh, I thought there must be a reason for so many regular players and even admins
not being pro like me, Splat Rota to join (and stay) on the official IRC channel ;)
[{USATREM}] !Gunther! wrote: No one uses it.
Hm? No one uses what? That irc chan seems primary way to fastly chat with our admins.
[{USATREM}] !Gunther! wrote: A lot of "ones", no?
?
Image Image

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#4 Post by grmg.pl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:19 am

卐fascism卐 promoting countries/regions like most of EU and USA!
BTW:
The term fascismo is derived from the Latin word fasces. The fasces, which consisted of a bundle of rods that were tied around an axe, was an ancient Roman symbol of the authority of the civic magistrate. They were carried by his lictors and could be used for corporal and capital punishment at his command.

Senate room
Dime
First design of Seal of the US

Roman Empire symbols. A coincidence, right? :)

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

#5 Post by TheMuffinMann » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

Still do not like Epical's way of representing his ideas... Holds a little too high esteem of himself and I do not like that at all.

Not everybody wants to use an IRC Client permanently
A signature, for me?

Stop it, you. :$

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#6 Post by Iltavuo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am

It is fairly annoying though, when people pop up in irc, ask a question or highlight you, and leave five minutes later. I'm connected to an irc client always when my computer is on, and I don't keep my eyes on it always, so typically you have to wait for me to even notice that someone joined and asked something. Some non-irc users even get angry because they don't get an answer right away.
TheMuffinMann wrote:Still do not like Epical's way of representing his ideas... Holds a little too high esteem of himself and I do not like that at all.

Not everybody want s to use an IRC Client permanently
This time though, the high esteem doesn't really show. He actualy gives some good advice. I don't think that everyone should be on irc always, and I don't think he ment it either. It wouldn't hurt though, if some people stayed there a little longer. For reference, with my setup on an old laptop, I've the program taking 0% of the processor and taking 1,5MB of memory. Still, I understand if you just see it as an useless clutter program in the background, but you could keep it running for a little longer once you do actualy launch it.

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by TheMuffinMann » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

Perhaps I'll get myself to actually play around with Pidgin a little and get it to join the IRC on startup, if that won't work, I'll maybe figure out some other way... I'll see....

On the other hand,
you're somewhat right Iltavuo. It is more or less good for more people to be online a little longer and more frequent, but imagine a full IRC that degraded to a chatroom? Is that helpful too?
A signature, for me?

Stop it, you. :$

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#8 Post by Iltavuo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 am

I didn't say that people should join irc more frequantly, but that wouldn't hurt either. Have you seen the #tremulous channel on freenode? Nowadays it's very quiet and even the most active days it was never too full.

Now let's suppose every R CZ player joined #rcz. There might be a lot of chatter, maybe too much. But for non rcz related stuff they should make new channels for their own groups. Or we could divide the channel into two, #rczchat and #rcz, where the former is for chat and latter is for more "serious" business.

My original plea was that people would stay on for a little longer than few minutes after they have connected.

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#9 Post by epicaldude » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

Seems too much traffic will not be problem unless 100+ people, this ain't a concern.
Image Image

Spl@
Server supporter
Server supporter

#10 Post by Spl@ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Iltavuo wrote:It is fairly annoying though, when people pop up in irc, ask a question or highlight you, and leave five minutes later.
Well, if they don't want to wait, their problem…
[…] Some non-irc users even get angry because they don't get an answer right away.
Well, yes. Clearly those of us who are there when they connect Are There For Their Benefit and must answer immediately and promptly. If we don't, we're clearly in breach of the terms of service and must refund them. After all, they pay Å￾lots for the service and We're There To Help and We Must Respond On Demand and We Must Provide Ponies And The Moon On A Stick and…

I don't think that these people understand that once they've disconnected from the IRC server, they've disconnected from the IRC server and are thus not contactable in that way (save for registered nicks and message bots, but these people probably haven't registered or there may be no suitable bot present). Their loss.

Anyway, what IRC tax? :)
Oh look. Killed again. Back to the tent…

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#11 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm

moved
The nodding of the head once to symbolize a greeting, cuz we white folk to damn lazy to open our mouths and speak up. Nods are also easier to shake off than a flase "hello".
"Person nods at you", or your direction, "you nod back"