Yes, to 10m
No votes

Total votes: 9

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

Server solutions...

#1 Post by TheMuffinMann » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Just recently I've heard that quite some of our 'better' regulars complain about the SD cap and as a matter of fact about the unfinished games... Usually at around 40+ some people try to call 'draw' votes because they're either unable to build more or they are out of credits and bored.

Here comes the question, what to do about it?

An option would be changing the sudden_death time limit, because 30 minutes seems to be a lot of time to build.

Yet, would the active members tolerate a slightly decresed build time and would this bring forth shorter games and actually finished ones too?

This topic is there to strike at core critizism of this server... <rarely>

Feel free to post any suggestions or the like...

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#2 Post by Redman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:40 pm

In my opinion sudden death time should be moved to 15 minutes (or even less) and there should be higher F1 percentage for delay vote to pass (for example 80% instead of 50%).

edit:

What about build points for frags? People would have to move their damn asses and kill some aliens instead of extreme-camp with ckit.

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#3 Post by Iltavuo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:58 pm

What did they complain about the sd? Does it comes too soon or too late? If you move the sd time to 15 minute mark for example, those draw votes will just start appearing earlier, at 20+ minute mark. Or we might just lose the builder type players to some other ubp server. Thirty minutes is a lot of time to build, but I think it's just perfect. There are often games where there aren't that many builders, and they can't build that much in 15 minutes. Most of the time what keeps the games going for long is just that no one is attacking, or they just killwhore when they do that. Moving the sd time won't change that.

Don't take this wrong, but you have been often complaining about the nature of server even being ubp. Stuff like players building a lot. I just kind of feel you want to turn the server into a more normal tremulous server. I like the server the way it is now: unlimited buildpoints making the gameplay much different than on the official servers. Still I don't think moving the sd time will solve the core problem for long games. If players don't learn to attack, games won't finish early.

PS: What are these unfinished games? Apart from the few maps with teleporters and ways of making bases unkillable, pretty much every game I witness gets finished.

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#4 Post by Redman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:09 pm

What about armageddon? It was perfect solution for long games.
Also known as the invisible man.

GLaDOS
Granger
Granger

#5 Post by GLaDOS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I think the SD time should stay the same. Should the need arise, 1.2 L7 admins have /sd.

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

#6 Post by TheMuffinMann » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:20 pm

I do complain quite a bit Iltavuo, I'll give you that. On the other hand I don't want this to be a reg server... I am just trying to find a solution to all of this camping/buildspam... Changing SD time-limie might/might not encourage logical building because players should know by know, that spam will get eliminated within a short amount of time.

The unfinished games I'm speaking of are those, that consist of 30 minutes building and 60 minutes+ of camping and then either team feels like it's too boring and initiates changemap/draw vote...

But when should armageddon kick in, that's a problem about it. Sometimes a map hasn't been shitspammed and a base actually is good... Then armageddon would be a bad thing... Or what about a team being on the verge of winning and armageddon ruins it all?
A signature, for me?

Stop it, you. :$

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by Redman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Server could use "time near base" and used build points to decide if players are camping and game won't end or not.

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

#8 Post by TheMuffinMann » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Redman wrote:Server could use "time near base" and used build points to decide if players are camping and game won't end or not.
You do know that this would require some programming and I doubt it, that somebody would freely take the initiative to programm a mod, that woudl do such...

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#9 Post by Redman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:40 pm

It's simple. All needed variables are already defined so you only have to do some loops and if statements.

TheMuffinMann
Marauder
Marauder

#10 Post by TheMuffinMann » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 pm

If it's that simple, diy and post the code
A signature, for me?

Stop it, you. :$

Iltavuo
Server supporter
Server supporter

#11 Post by Iltavuo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm

TheMuffinMann wrote:players should know by know, that spam will get eliminated within a short amount of time.
The majority will never learn. They didn't learn in the 4-5 years I played 1.1, and they've only had a bit over an year to learn the 1.2 building style.
TheMuffinMann wrote:The unfinished games I'm speaking of are those, that consist of 30 minutes building and 60 minutes+ of camping and then either team feels like it's too boring and initiates changemap/draw vote...
Problem isn't the server, it's the players. Fixing that won't be easy. But, if all "good" players play in a fun non-camping style, the rest will usualy mimic this behaviour.
TheMuffinMann wrote:If it's that simple, diy and post the code
I think there was a mod related to this. I don't remember the name though.

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#12 Post by Redman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#13 Post by grmg.pl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Redman wrote: What about build points for frags? People would have to move their damn asses and kill some aliens instead of extreme-camp with ckit.

F1

Redemption
Marauder
Marauder

#14 Post by Redemption » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 pm

yo redman what language is this? python? C++? just want to know is all.

i wonder if i can do the same with C :P
take this fear from me...
before it consumes me whole...
take this fear from me..
before it consumes my soul...

i am dyslexic so plz have sympothy for me plz