Name copycat handling

You were banned/kicked? Someone should be banned?

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

iain
Granger
Granger

#16 Post by iain » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:32 pm

[rage]gareth wrote:i did not agree with this method of dealing with it, I do agree it is a problem, but i think there are better ways of dealing with it...

admin abuse by gunther? ... strict admin sometimes maybe, but not abuser

epical- direct quote from server rules (http://www.onlineforum.cz/rcz/rules) :

"The fact you are an admin doesn't mean that you're more important than regular players: you only have a broom with which to sweep up any mess. If you leave the mess, it's your problem; consider that if you want to become admin. "

If a normal player was having this problem, as an admin, we should feel an obligation to help fix it and if necessary use admin powers to help the situation. In this case, an admin can be considered to be equal to a normal player (hence the quote from the rules), therefore admins should still help fix this problem and if necessary use admin powers.

I will say again, i do not think that the approach suggested by gunther is necessarily the best approach, however i do agree that something should be done.
I wasnt asked for my opinion :/

Anyhoo. I think gunthers approach would be acceptable if the *copycat usernames* purpose was to insult/attack someone.

Let's face it: Is someone calling themselves LizardWithPat really a problem...

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#17 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm

iain wrote:
[rage]gareth wrote:i did not agree with this method of dealing with it, I do agree it is a problem, but i think there are better ways of dealing with it...

admin abuse by gunther? ... strict admin sometimes maybe, but not abuser

epical- direct quote from server rules (http://www.onlineforum.cz/rcz/rules) :

"The fact you are an admin doesn't mean that you're more important than regular players: you only have a broom with which to sweep up any mess. If you leave the mess, it's your problem; consider that if you want to become admin. "

If a normal player was having this problem, as an admin, we should feel an obligation to help fix it and if necessary use admin powers to help the situation. In this case, an admin can be considered to be equal to a normal player (hence the quote from the rules), therefore admins should still help fix this problem and if necessary use admin powers.

I will say again, i do not think that the approach suggested by gunther is necessarily the best approach, however i do agree that something should be done.
I wasnt asked for my opinion :/

Anyhoo. I think gunthers approach would be acceptable if the *copycat usernames* purpose was to insult/attack someone.

Let's face it: Is someone calling themselves LizardWithPat really a problem...
Another example: If someone names themselves "LizardShootsCats", and Lizard finds that violent alteration of his name offensive, he can choose accordingly.

As long as:
Earlierly Posted Rules wrote:The fact you are an admin doesn't mean that you're more important than regular players: you only have a broom with which to sweep up any mess. If you leave the mess, it's your problem
tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly

Spl@
Server supporter
Server supporter

#18 Post by Spl@ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 pm

[{USATREM}] !Gunther! wrote:Another example: If someone names themselves "LizardShootsCats", and Lizard finds that violent alteration of his name offensive, he can choose accordingly.
That is fair and reasonable.
Oh look. Killed again. Back to the tent…

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#19 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Sorry had exams and stuff.

First of all - When my adventure with lizard started he said something like - Im generous admin, others would have kicked that player using my name already and (not sure about this part) I have done that on other servers.

Guys please - We had dozens of imposters and you didnt do a shit then. Becouse you are experienced players and if you look at scoretable you know who is who. Even if you dont, then you can use your admin abilities - And you then know too who is who. Why naming yourself is oppresive or bad in some way? Most of your nicks are stolen from something other...

Epical I will say that youre right first time... Be happy :P.

As it was quoted. We are 99% players 1% admins. You all saw frequency of how I use my admin powers (dun talk about trolls though :P ). Its all about expirience and RULES that are on server - Written ones and UNwritten ones (not written? :D ). And he wants to have lvl 7 now? betch pleaz... :P
The nodding of the head once to symbolize a greeting, cuz we white folk to damn lazy to open our mouths and speak up. Nods are also easier to shake off than a flase "hello".
"Person nods at you", or your direction, "you nod back"

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#20 Post by [rage]gareth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm

i did not mean that it is not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem, just maybe not the best way...
and nod, if a player was having real problems with people stealing names ect, you should use admin powers if necessary to help them, Why should an admin be entitled to the same help a normal player would receive in the same circumstance? (not necessarily this situation, but this principle in general)
grangers FTW :D

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#21 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

We have nick protection. It is best to keep this role. Lvl 7 have l0 and l1. I allowed players to "get their nick back" or "change it" many times. They knew they should just ask. So if you have your unique nick - register it and its yours. No way actually to steal nick! Just do adminlist - you will see how much crap is protected.
The nodding of the head once to symbolize a greeting, cuz we white folk to damn lazy to open our mouths and speak up. Nods are also easier to shake off than a flase "hello".

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#22 Post by [rage]gareth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 pm

i have seen how many nick's are registered, but its thing like yalt said, where yalt looks like yaIt (one with capital i, other with l), or other names with very subtle almost un-noticeable differences that are the problem in such cases.

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#23 Post by epicaldude » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Image Image

Free Scotland
Spectacor
Spectacor

#24 Post by Free Scotland » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

epicaldude wrote:Lol? :D
Well, I didn't even knew about what was that shit with Lizards. :P

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#25 Post by [rage]gareth » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:11 am

and now you can see, that because you have started retaliating against the trolls, more trolls (epical etc) have joined in and you will just get more and more if you continue to humour them. If this fuss had never been made in the first place, this is much less likely to have happened and at least then there would only be one of them...

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#26 Post by epicaldude » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 am

[rage]gareth wrote: if a player was having real problems with people stealing names ect,
you should use admin powers if necessary to help them,
Yeah, Nod, listen to gareth and use your

!learn2read a_player_with_reading_problem

command, why don't you already? That's so simple.

[rage]gareth wrote:If this fuss had never been made in the first place, this is much less likely to have happened
Yeap.
Well, this was a typical N moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhgwy9y5ttA
Image Image

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#27 Post by [rage]gareth » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 am

except in this case, i do not think that using admin powers were necessary.

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#28 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 am

Well... Yalt is a pro and he doesnt care about his reputation. He can easly manage to kill one troll which is using his name. And that person will think that he is the wrong one here (Yalt got nice converastion skills)

gareth I said - Your nick is protected. All one can do is Add letter or change one. I dont think youre blind enough to not see difference between I and L. Lizard started all that by feeding trolls.

This case isnt even worth this much handling. I said it once - if Lizard would stay shut, the player would change nick by himself next day. He is first person to feel that much hurt. And becouse of that all trolls will use his weak point. He will have hard time now.

And for what are we arguing? I have other problems in trem to attend, than NICK which wont differ the game flow. You saw lately pros? They are all hidden (new qvms) new players. They does it for some reason, but they are not even protecting their nick. Gareth, wakey wakey - this nick matter is not a problem.

And my point is - We dont use commands as we like or we dont boast around that we are admins. We stick to some rules, and there isnt a rule that disallows nick """stealing""" (3 times more powerfull irony than simple one " " :D ). You cant be an idiot... But this is another problem <winks>

what a loooong loooong post.