How not to run a software company.

Post anything else

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

How not to run a software company.

#1 Post by grmg.pl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 pm

I used various mind mappers for testing, the test subjects were my notes, plans designs etc. from notebooks. It really is helping on the workload, it helps to keep order, shows tasks, connects ideas. A really good idea to organize stuff.

Take 1:

Using the well known p2p search engine I've "obtained" iMindMapper (2009) by Tony Buzan.

Tony is the guy who invented mind maps (among other really cool stuff he did). One would think that his program is gonna be like entire Adobe Suite or comparable.

But no. 3+years of development gives you: 1995+ interface, almost no options of sorting and aligning the branches, only ONE possible way to display the map, and mandatory kindergarten like branches.

Presentation options? MS Office integration? Hyperlinks? Notes? Is this is for children? Can I add a jpeg here?
"Has encountered unexpected error...."
"Has been successfully uninstalled"

Now get this - there is an app for children that uses mind maps and it looks better than Buzans' soft.

Take 2:

The next software is Mindjets' MindManager Pro. It really looks pro.
I has multitude of advanced options that I can use. The maps look really good. Sorted out, logical, with many possible layouts. Presentations have cool stuff too. Great.

1st day:

I'm lovin' it (without getting fat). I get 50% of my stuff in the most organized way till now.

2nd day:

I could really use the option to move the "parent node" away from "children branches".
Can't. At all. Well ok.

This branch needs to go away from this one, too close to each other, will confuse people. "No, do not connect this. Move away. Well fuck you." Apparently, I can move stuff, but ONLY horizontally.

This branch goes on the left, 3 other on the right.
Can't. No option to change this.

I need this to point to this. Bezier curves? Is a straight line too simple for this? Found the "straight line" option. But it doesn't save the last used scheme.
Bezier curve, select, insert, rolldown menu, straight line.

Same goes for EVERYTHING. No "use last used settings". You can edit the "templates" settings for this, but apparently, it works only for some settings and some tools.
Place, select, format, align, right. Times 20.

A positive surprise - they have implemented an alarm clock.
But why is it counting down after set time without any alarm in "alarm clock". No settings on right click. OK.
File, settings, sounds. Does not exist.
Search for audio files in Program Files/appname. Nothing.
Turns out it uses Windows sound of this - *.
But why can't I hear it? Coz I've set Windows sound scheme to "none". Windows with sounds and alarm clock or no sounds and no alarm clock.

Fuck this, their forums should have some answers.
Well, here's how the forums look like. WTF is this shit now? "Use facebook to login." No, thx. Register? Only to the "Get satisfaction" which is some sort of shitty, forum-like provider. Can't register to Mindjet only. Fuck you then.

Old look. Go take a look at 170+threads in 2012 version (compare this number with 1300+ threads in 2008 and 350+ in 2009. See the trend?). Errors. Confusion. Usability problems. Most not resolved.

Now get this and this.. There is apparently a petition to the devs made by users who paid 350$ per copy to remove similar "errors".
No response on both.

From wikipedia:
"In December 2011 Mindjet reported 350,000 downloads for its iOS app and 1.1 million downloads for its Android-based app."

"According to Mindjet, as of April 2012 the company's services are used by 83 percent of Fortune 100 companies. Notable organizations and companies using Mindjet include the United States Coast Guard, Hewlett-Packard, Coca Cola, Walt Disney, IBM, Walmart and Nationwide."

"As of December 2011 Mindjet had 270 employees" - tech support has 3 active people on the"shit forum"

"Files created in the most recent versions are compatible with both Windows and Apple platforms." - moving the same file between mac and win causes crashes.

"Features include support for manual and automatic task management" - "manual and automatic" means you put clock-like icon near the branch and manually update it since it's not connected to anything outside the program.

"filters" - working

"an open application programming interface (API)" - no plugins, no addons, from the devs or the users.

"and RSS support." - doesn't update itself.

"integration with Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook and Excel." - some stuff works here.

Majority of the "cons" are minor. Little stuff. But it shows up everywhere and every time.

They have the most advanced and developed software in mind mapping niche.
They have NO foreseeable competition.
Judging by forum posts they have around 85% retail customers (350$ each) less than 3 years ago.

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#2 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 pm

grmg.pl wrote:Using the well known p2p search engine I've "obtained" iMindMapper (2009) by Tony Buzan.
-Gets P2P software to download P2P software to download his software-

tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#3 Post by grmg.pl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Stupid fucks. You can't add a boundary (but there is a separate submenu for this :/ ) around selected elements inside a subgroup. You can only add boundary around ALL elements in a subgroup. So WTF do you use boundary for?

Edit: This "boundary stuff" is known well since 2006. 6 new releases couldn't fix it.

Christ Almighty, who the fuck are these people??????!!!!!!!! :evil:

EDIT: End of day2, "..was successfully uninstalled"

I'll stick with xmind, lacks some cool features but nothing I can't replace with outside software. But it works like it's advertised. Finally.

EDIT2: I'm basicly back to pen and paper. You may laugh now.

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#4 Post by epicaldude » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm

grmg.pl wrote: EDIT2: I'm basicly back to pen and paper. You may laugh now.
TROOLOLOLO :D

Seriously though, paper & paper is far more friendly then it sounds at first. It can be good.
Image Image

grmg.pl
Marauder
Marauder

#5 Post by grmg.pl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm

epicaldude wrote:Seriously though, paper & paper is far more friendly then it sounds at first. It can be good.
Until you have 160+ pages of A4 notes and you want to use it to make slide and presentations.