Maps on server and map requests

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

Transparency (alpha 2 now available)

#1 Post by Pikachu » Thu May 02, 2013 1:17 am

O hai! Decided I'dd register and join the madnes :shock:

So this is like, my first map ever. I've probably screwed up some stuff, hence the alpha. Needs testing and bitching.

Screenshot (I haven't started working on the visuals yet)

The gimmick of the map is that the bases start out in places where the teams can see each other, there's also glass parts between the major battlezones.

Need to get layout fixed first. Probably have a better elevator too, this one is too easy to exploit I'm afraid. But func_train physics suck, so... lol

*updated* Download:
http://www.spiney.me/files/tremstuff/ma ... alpha2.pk3 (latest)
http://www.spiney.me/files/tremstuff/ma ... alpha1.pk3 (old version)
Last edited by Pikachu on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#2 Post by Weed » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 am

good work mate, ask imp or shitshitshit or other players for help they are busy with mapping (:

shitshitshit
Dretch
Dretch

#3 Post by shitshitshit » Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 am

cool map. I hope that soon it'll play, so I hope the'll play it on my own.

Fang152
Marauder
Marauder

#4 Post by Fang152 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Tbh I don't think the map needs wallpaper - I would rather play it as it looks! :D

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#5 Post by Redman » Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 am

I like the map's layout. It's quite big, there are a lot of interesting rooms to build in. I'm not sure about the balance though, you'll have to do an open test. I like the looks of it as well, although the bottom layers have little contrast and are dull.

However, the map is unplayable without modifications. The PK3 you supplied is malformed. The content (folders named maps, models, sound, scripts, etc) should be placed directly in the archive root.
Also known as the invisible man.

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#6 Post by Pikachu » Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 am

However, the map is unplayable without modifications. The PK3 you supplied is malformed. The content (folders named maps, models, sound, scripts, etc) should be placed directly in the archive root.
Are you certain of this? I followed the official mapping guide, also other archives I checked all have them in those subfolders.
zap zap zap

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by Weed » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 am

redman is know from the paint maps

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#8 Post by Redman » Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

Pikachu wrote:
Are you certain of this? I followed the official mapping guide, also other archives I checked all have them in those subfolders.
Absolutely. Here's a quick comparison of two valid pk3s and the one created by you:

Note that the Quake 3 engine creates a giant virtual file system made out of contents of all PK3s it can find, like that (actual console output):

Code: Select all

File "maps/transparency_alpha1.bsp" found in "/home/redman/tremulous/base/map-transparency-alpha1-corrected.pk3"
File "transparency_alpha1/maps/transparency_alpha1.bsp" found in "/home/redman/tremulous/base/map-transparency_alpha1.pk3"

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#9 Post by Pikachu » Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am

Oh wait... that's not right...
Hah, I fixed that and then proceeded to upload the wrong file. Durrr...
You're obviously right, I was under the impression you were talking about having no subfolders. :)

Fixed! (Link updated)

About the balance, yeah, hard to make out without testing.
Right now I think it might be easy for humans to camp their main entrance. (in ubp at least). So I might open up some walls to create some a loop rather than the linear hallway that does into the base now. Aliens might need some more cover in their base and outside, but I'm afraid I might have a bias and make it pro alien in the process. Needs testing.
The lift shaft is a bit problematic. You can block the elevator to the upper position by siting on it. I'll probably switch it for a triggered func-train and give it a roof (so dretches can't crush bsuits by landing on their heads). I might also try having 2 elevators to work in tandem, to avoid the elevator becoming a bottleneck. Ladder could have some end caps to make them easy to get onto. I've added a cushion brush at the bottom of the shaft, so you can jump all the way down without taking damage, that's not very realistic, maybe I just need to put on a texture to sell it.

Visual wise still pretty bland, though I like the overbright sunlight on the upper parts, probably keeping that. I'm also gonna have a granger statue, haha.
zap zap zap

Fang152
Marauder
Marauder

#10 Post by Fang152 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Would go nicely with a human holding a blaster statue :D

Fang152
Marauder
Marauder

#11 Post by Fang152 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 pm

btw, would it be difficult to have everything including the walls transparent? just an idea!

BillyRazOr
Dretch
Dretch
Location: 2, Alor Mengkudu Road, 05400 Alur Setar, Kedah, Malaysia

#12 Post by BillyRazOr » Fri May 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Your map is awesome!!! :D

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#13 Post by Pikachu » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Billy <3

Played it a bit yesterday. People seem most drawn to the high loop. The large outside room doesn't seem very popular except to humans when they get jets and start to build on the roof of the high loop, haha. I'll probably make the outside a bit smaller towards the top (tapering towards the center) and open up some walls to let some more sunlight in. I certainly want to keep the verticality.
There's a cushioning brush next to the elevator so players can jump down without taking damage which can lead to some funny situations. I was thinking of maybe exploiting that some more and make it something of a halfpipe so players can jump down and slide around.
Also maybe connecting the high loop with the outside but in a one way fashion. Was thinking of a door with an emergency exit sign that has a slide downwards with one-way doors inbetween (triggered in advance so you retain the momentum of the slide).

I was first thinking about making it a fairly neutral map like the stock ones but some of the typical RCZ crazyness would be fun I think. Maybe even have a cannon above each base, haha. Merry asked for some secrets, I think I might have some triggered doors. Suggestions are welcome, it's much more fun making this with feedback from players. :D

Fang: I could make everything transparent, but that would probably be bad for performance (both on the rendering and networking side) since there wouldn't be any occlusion culling possible. I could try it with a smaller map sometime though. Another issue with the glass is that after a few layers it starts becoming too bright so I try to limit the amount of overlaps. But maybe that would even be cool in some maze like structure where it could work as some kind of fog.
zap zap zap

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#14 Post by Redman » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

Another issue with the glass is that after a few layers it starts becoming too bright so I try to limit the amount of overlaps.
You could change the blending function to regular blending (same effect as when you have multiple transparent layers in GIMP or Photoshop stacked), but then you have to make sure the rendering order is correct.

iain
Granger
Granger

#15 Post by iain » Tue May 07, 2013 11:56 am

Really nice map man, well done!

Looks good, and the gameplay is for the most part pretty good.

Obviously there is the jettard issue, as aliens cant even reach them... And maybe more routes to each base?