Transparency (alpha 2 now available)

Maps on server and map requests

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#31 Post by Pikachu » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Some updates...

So I swapped the elevator for a series of wind tunnels (2 up and 1 down on each team side). Also made a new room that holds them, including a ramp for rants to get up in to base easily. The wind tunnels right now are a series of tubes (patch meshes) with a gravity of 0 inside and target_push for directional push. It all works quite nicely. The 0 gravity isn't needed, but it makes it slightly smoother. Some parts of the pipe are transparent others opaque. I even had to fix some invisible hangups that (rarely) occured between the structural parts with some invisible player_clip fittings inside the pipes. I've hit some snags though, firstly wallwalking aliens are not transported correctly using target_push (they simply stick to the wall) and jetpacks can simply hover inside. Needless to say that'll turn into a pesky hiding spot for both sides. The alien bit is easily solved by using a 'slick' shader, but the jets are more problematic. I could slap on slick and disallow jetpack buying, but that would be a lazy solution. And though the map has a jetard problem I think I can have some alien solutions that would actually make aerial combat fun.
I'll probably keep the wind tunnel concept but try to make some invisible elevator that forces stuff through. Gonna try making it so it's impossible for stuff to get crushed, we'll see...

Here's some screenshot. Graphics are still wip. I kind of regret slapping on those textures early on, it slows down the layout process. From a mapping perspective there's certainly upsides to only using 1 texture ;)

Don't know when I'll release the next version, I need to fix the tunnel thing first, and soup up the outside area somewhat.
The babyblue (lol) textures are for humans, aliens will have red.
zap zap zap

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#32 Post by Weed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

i can't see the screenshots..

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#33 Post by Pikachu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Hmm, anyone else have that issue? They should just work...
zap zap zap

Lancer
Tyrant
Tyrant

#34 Post by Lancer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 pm

They work
Care to check out Jucaspel?

http://on.fb.me/16BFTKE

some noob1
Dretch
Dretch

#35 Post by some noob1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:38 pm

PIKA PIKA!
i love the map concept, and its starting to look sweet as hell too

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#36 Post by Pikachu » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Tunnels still kinda bugging me, I think I can do it with invisible elevators but that will cause waiting times (for the elevators to reset) which might not be desirable when trying to rush. Ideally I'dd have a volume in which jetpacks turn off and that would solve the issue... but I have no idea how to do that.
zap zap zap

imp
Basilisk
Basilisk

#37 Post by imp » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 pm

You can do elevator without waiting time by using few circular going trains.
I can help you with that but i still dont fully understand what your problem is.

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#38 Post by Pikachu » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Nah, I can manage, it's just that the system becomes complex very quickly.
There's 3 floors in the pipe room. One pipe upwards on floor 2 and two pipes on floor 0, of which one goes down. All these pipes have 2 or 3 bends in them. So when you go into them the transition at the bends should be seamless. This is easy with push brushes, just a little annoying since there's a lot going on in a very small space, just makes it annoying to make changes.

My problem is, since these pipes cover some ground and have bends in them it's potentially a very good camping spot for jets which are not influenced by the push brushes when they're in the air.
Elevators solve this at the cost of more complexity and waiting times.
I can do the conveyorbelt func_train type thing to lessen the waiting times, but it also seems kinda like a pita and func_train has really annoying physics. When 2 players enter at the same time one might squish the other etc. The nice thing about using 3-5 push brushes inside the tube are no waiting times or edge cases and importance timing you'd have with elevators.

Actually the most annoying thing about this is that brushes can only have a number of properties. I can't have a single brush be gravity and slick and cushion, etc, so I need to have a lot of overlapping crap in there, on top of triggers and tube patches with 2 sides etc. Then I need to take into account overdraw for glass etc. All solvable, just a pain to make since every time I want to change something I have to change the entire damn thing all over, which gets on my nerves.

The cleanest solution would be to have a brush that disables jets inside of it, but I have no idea if that's even possible without messing with the gameplay code. I might simply disable the buying of jetpacks in the end.
If the map goes onto edge I might (or not) have the same issue with the hummels. So yeah, I'll put on some posters inside the map with a no jetpack sign or something. The roof will be easy to access for both sides, so no jetarding to piss off aliens :P
zap zap zap

imp
Basilisk
Basilisk

#39 Post by imp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 am

Elevators also can squish players as well as train :/ .

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#40 Post by Pikachu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:39 am

Sure, with a lot of effort they can :P Train is guaranteed instadeath in all movement directions.
Long story short: quake physics suck 8)
zap zap zap

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#41 Post by Pikachu » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:54 pm

More work on the outside. There's tunnels with negative gravity (works great!) to elevate or cannonball to the higher parts. The nets can be landed on without taking fall damage. I might need to revision their shape a bit, since those bars look painful :P
zap zap zap

Weed
Marauder
Marauder

#42 Post by Weed » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Sick! well done mate.

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#43 Post by Pikachu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm

NEW VERSION IS UP.
I updated the links at the bottom of the first post.
zap zap zap

Fang152
Marauder
Marauder

#44 Post by Fang152 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:10 pm

OMG TY TY TY TY. Gonna try it now :p

Pikachu
Dretch
Dretch

#45 Post by Pikachu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:10 am

Hmmm, just noticed the no jetpacks key is missing, that's kinda very important. I'll update tomorrow.
zap zap zap