#16 Post by Lancer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Protoss = Fast / Med. Shield / Low hp.
Care to check out Jucaspel?

http://on.fb.me/16BFTKE

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#17 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:36 am

Honesty I've played a few rounds in Third Team, and Robots seems just like a copy of Humans.
Need to make it so that you can destroy rets and acid tubes with mildly the same ammo. I can kill one tube with one rifle clip, but then I'm plugging more and more into human rets.
I like Lancer's idea for faster pace, and maybe bringing over some Korx aspects because hey, it already LOOKS like Korx, why not use basically the same stuff and equipment.
Teleporting Telenodes and the like were always my favorite on Korx, maybe bring it back for Robots?
Just voicing pure opinion, seeing as this IS an opinion thread; no idea if any of this can be successfully done while still using CZ files AND 1.2 files, but I think the robots need more than just another human team.

(Side note)
I've only played on S1, because for some reason whenever I get on there's never anybody else on. Probably just time-zones.
Maybe I'm wrong about needing to add thing from Korx, but still, at S1 it was just a cooler looking Humans team to me.

But I must say, exelent work so far.
(And must say again, this is just my wee humble opinion)

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#18 Post by Rotacak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:20 am

Damage to turrets is lowered, because othervise while you have luci/xael/grenade, you can kill enemy base just by self (splash damage from exploding buildables). With rifle on s1 it can be problem, but you can aim on player kills or on aliens.

Features from korx can be added, but main purpose of third team is only third team. And that making fun even when is same like humans. But it need atleast 3-4 players on each team, othervise it is boring.

Forty-Two
Dretch
Dretch

#19 Post by Forty-Two » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:38 am

Adding to what pmd said:

What if the robots are some sort of morphing organism, like aliens, but in order to morph they had to be within 500 units of a replicator. They could also take different forms, each with different weapons. For example:

Forms:
1. Small tank, something like: Image

2. Snake: Image

3. Wheel Image

4. Full tank: Image

Weapons:

Machinegun->Chaingun(S2/3)
Lasgun->Pulse(s2/3)
Flamer(S2/3)
Mass Driver->Luci(S3)

The could be paired and exchanged when within range. The smaller ones (Snake/minitank) could probably have grenades automatically attached to them, with a ckit for the tank, and dretch style zapper for the snake (or vice versa). The idea there being to suicide in front of something valuble. I also like the idea of speed from the wheel, but only being able to attack after a delay. All of these would be able to trade in for different weapons, but some of them could only be used by certain form factors. At various stages some of them could be able to climb walls, as well. I can also see each robot needing power as well as hp (like stamina); they must recharge after a certain time. They would regenerate hp faster than alien, but not have any means at all of speeding it up.

For buildings:

Supercomputer (Like Reactor)
Factory (Like node and armory combined)
Light Turret (1/2 hp of normal, 2 speed [Both turning and firing], 1/2 damage, 1/2 range)
Heavy Turret (2 hp, 1/2 speed, 2 damage, 2 range)
Dock (Charges power)
Trap (Like a cross between a barrier and a trapper)
Terminal (Like a repeater)

This could create a unique race that has elements of both races, while having its own strengths (Tanks and such), and weaknesses (weak starting class), rather than being a human clone.
Image Image

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#20 Post by Rotacak » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:06 am

Main problem is that we have not these new 3D models with textures, animations and sounds.

Forty-Two
Dretch
Dretch

#21 Post by Forty-Two » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Rotacak wrote:Main problem is that we have not these new 3D models with textures, animations and sounds.
Well, yes, but that'd be true of any attempt to make the robot team more like a new species. These could all be tested out with rough sketches of what the final product would look like. What do you think, other than about graphics?
Image Image

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#22 Post by Rotacak » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:23 am

Some of them are interesting. And weapons should be totally different too. But it is very hard to develop new balanced veapons.

Forty-Two
Dretch
Dretch

#23 Post by Forty-Two » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Rotacak wrote:Some of them are interesting. And weapons should be totally different too. But it is very hard to develop new balanced veapons.
Well, you could take many of them from robotics applications currently in use. For example, the machinegun and the flamethrower are both used in tanks today. One thing that could be added would be a cannon. It might deal, say, 100 damage for an exact hit, and would have a very high velocity, but would still be ballistic. I think that that could be coded quite quickly by taking the code for the goon's snipe, and applying a higher velocity, and imparting more damage.

Of course, many of the same weapons from the normal game could be used.
Image Image

Forty-Two
Dretch
Dretch

#24 Post by Forty-Two » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 pm

OK, here's what I think could be implemented:

Base class:

Small 1 game unit sphere. Weapon: zap. Hp: 5. This should make things interesting.

Robots evolve in body shapes, but they can switch weapons at any time. This part could be implemented easily using the existing armor for humans.
Image Image