Feature request (RCZ 1.2)

Post anything else

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

Feature request (RCZ 1.2)

#1 Post by Redman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

There are some ugly glitches/bugs/not implemented functions in the code that I would like to be fixed:
  • Recursive mover buildable moving, so that one could build walls and houses in trains.
  • Buildables looking for power/creep more frequently, so that moving buildables won't stay powered after moving away from the power source. (thread)
  • Preserve player's velocity after jumping in a mover.
  • Wallwalking on buildables and entities.
  • Client-side prediction of movement on rotating movers.
  • Smoking and exploding bricks and flags should neither smoke nor explode.
  • Certain aliens do not die in lava (possibly gameplay changing?)
  • Optimize buildstats (fps gets cut in half everytime you see buildables' HP bars in a ret/bamboo/acidspam).
  • Trigger_hurt can murder only one person at a time (possibly gameplay changing?).
  • Any player with a ^ in nick (used not as a colorcode) will cause glitched text formatting everytime they call a vote. Example: (completely white) z^^72+x gets decolored to z^2+x in votes, which is displayed as z+x (with +x being green).
  • Sudden death delay votes (with some high minimum percentage) would be really welcome during buildgames.
  • Buildable models being displayed in the wrong place (everyone knows this bug..).
  • How about a different building system for Adv. Grangers: they build where their crosshair points (with some distance limit), not just in front of them.
  • Ban mines or at least make them wait a second before exploding. The price is ridiculous too.

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#2 Post by Rotacak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:46 am

If you will provide patch, I can apply it.

"Wallwalking on buildables and entities. "
I tried it, but there is some bad prediction or what, so player will slide down from buildable. Cgame change is probably needed, but dont know where.

"Smoking and exploding bricks and flags should neither smoke nor explode."
But how do know when they are damaged?

"Buildable models being displayed in the wrong place"
Happen with small/thin buildables. Not sure if I am able to do anything with it.

"How about a different building system for Adv. Grangers: they build where their crosshair points (with some distance limit), not just in front of them."
With this you can build into air - it will fall and with planks etc. it can cause bad things on slope walls.

"Mine"
Price is high, othervise mine war happen.

Spl@
Server supporter
Server supporter

#3 Post by Spl@ » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Rotacak wrote:"Buildable models being displayed in the wrong place"
Happen with small/thin buildables. Not sure if I am able to do anything with it.
Seems that that can happen with any pair of buildings. although some of it may be due to an older bug. For example, I've seen stacked DCs, one displayed in almost exactly the same place as the other (but with health meters displayed correctly).
"How about a different building system for Adv. Grangers: they build where their crosshair points (with some distance limit), not just in front of them."
With this you can build into air - it will fall and with planks etc. it can cause bad things on slope walls.
Use the angle as a distance modifier. (Unvanquished does this.)
"Mine"
Price is high, othervise mine war happen.
A short trigger delay could be interesting. Imagine a dretch setting off a mine but escaping the blast…
Oh look. Killed again. Back to the tent…

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#4 Post by Redman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm

"Wallwalking on buildables and entities. "
I tried it, but there is some bad prediction or what, so player will slide down from buildable. Cgame change is probably needed, but dont know where.
I've already done that.
How about switching textures (from less damaged to more damaged [cracks, etc.])? Worked well for me in my mod.
"Buildable models being displayed in the wrong place"
CG_PositionAndOrientateBuildable does some serious clockfuck with the buildables (when they're in odd places like midair or stacked). I've spent a lot of time understanding the function and I think I can fix the bug easily.
True, but checking if one's building in air is just a matter of a single if statement.

I'll patch all the bugs but I need the most recent RCZ source code.
Also known as the invisible man.

Nod_Nod_Nod
Tyrant
Tyrant

#5 Post by Nod_Nod_Nod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm

How about switching textures (from less damaged to more damaged [cracks, etc.])? Worked well for me in my mod.

The nodding of the head once to symbolize a greeting, cuz we white folk to damn lazy to open our mouths and speak up. Nods are also easier to shake off than a flase "hello".
"Person nods at you", or your direction, "you nod back"

Lancer
Tyrant
Tyrant

#6 Post by Lancer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Nod -D = NO.
Care to check out Jucaspel?

http://on.fb.me/16BFTKE

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#7 Post by Redman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Quake 3's renderer allows one to use custom shaders instead of default model's texture. You can also render polygons manually.
Also known as the invisible man.

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#8 Post by Rotacak » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Redman wrote:
Good idea.
Redman wrote:I'll patch all the bugs but I need the most recent RCZ source code.
I need separated patches. But if you want sources, I can upload it somewhere when I have time.

Redman
Marauder
Marauder

#9 Post by Redman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Rotacak wrote:
Redman wrote:I'll patch all the bugs but I need the most recent RCZ source code.
I need separated patches. But if you want sources, I can upload it somewhere when I have time.
I need them otherwise I won't be able to fix funserver-related bugs and probably patcher would complain about wrong revisions.

Rotacak
Tyrant
Tyrant

#10 Post by Rotacak » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Redman: I allways patching sources by hand, so I know what changes I am exactly doing there.

Sources are there: http://hidemyass.com/files/HzAhA/

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#11 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 am

Redman wrote:How about a different building system for Adv. Grangers: they build where their crosshair points (with some distance limit), not just in front of them.
Current system is pretty okay. Sometimes buildable outline can find new places to fit stuff, even if crosshair isn't pointing to that area very well. (say a surface on an odd-angle box)
Also might prevent strange building. "Where did tube go?" Tube is somehwere in front of you..as always.
In this new preposed system, would buildings on Aliens auto-flip? (When facing wall; will tube build and be pointing back at you?)
tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly