Name copycat handling

You were banned/kicked? Someone should be banned?

Moderator: Nod_Nod_Nod

Lizardwithhat
Dretch
Dretch

Name copycat handling

#1 Post by Lizardwithhat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

I am having an argument with Nod_Nod_Nod about name copycats, let me tell the story:

I am always under the name Lizardwithhat I want people to know that this is me, this is my reputation etc.

There has been a guy who has copied my name calling himself Lizardwithpat

My name is so unique that this is no coincidence he is doing that simply to troll "quoted from another admin"

How do people know it is me? because Lizardwithhat is my name
Some people might not see that he is pat not hat at the end and might mistake him for me. After talking it over with 2 other admins with their opinions I warned the guy 2 times to change his name and he did to Lizardwithsigar, I got mad at this and me and the other admin online at that moment agreed that I have the right to rename him (he suggested kick but I am a nice guy ;) ) So I renamed him to unnamed or something like that

Anyways turns out Nod_Nod_Nod was online hiding under another name and he did not agree with what I did. I wanted to solve the issue in private chat but he insisted I do this on public chat and he argued against me in front of everyone completely embarrassing another admin aka me.

Also I forgot to mention that before rename I even did a public poll on wether I should rename him and it was like 13 against 2

So then just to troll two more people joined and they all renamed themself to Lizardwithhat1 Lizardwithhat3 and Lizardwithhate

I think nod_nod_nod is wrong and he needs to know that

In total 3 admins already agreed with me but I want the rest to see this matter as well.

I think that if a player is copying an admins name, to avoid confusion he needs to be asked to rename if no then warning if no then rename

The stupid thing is that after Nod_Nod_Nod started the as I said before FORCED PUBLIC argument the guy changed his name back from unnamed player back to Lizardwithsomething or something like that.

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#2 Post by [rage]gareth » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm

like we already discussed, if you just ignore it for long enough, they will get bored and stop, however if you continue to make a fuss about it, they will enjoy it more and more, and more will start to do it. This you have already seen, so at this point it will be so much better just to ignore it, if they start to provoke you just pretend you are afk :D
grangers FTW :D

iain
Granger
Granger

#3 Post by iain » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Lol, not gonna lie I've done this xD

Anyways, should it be done? Probably not. Should there be any form of rule enforcing this, noep

yalt.
Banned

#4 Post by yalt. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Imposters are a serious problem. Some guy named himself yaIt. You see it if u use /listplayers but somehow the typo in mainchat and highscores show "yalt" cause "I" looks like "l". I ignore this assbag but he likes to behave like an assholes sometimes and ruines my reputation. This happens also to ams.

Lizardwithhat
Dretch
Dretch

#5 Post by Lizardwithhat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 am

I am having an issue with the the way nod behaved, if he disagreed I would have been ready to hear his opinion, if he weren't hiding I would have asked him as well beforehand, that did not happen I tried to talk to him in private chat to solve the issue, admin chat would have been fine as well but he insisted everyone see this causing a larger issue

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#6 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:15 pm

If it happened to me, I would ask them. As in: "Why are you mocking my name?"
If they do not respond, I would use /warn "Player" "Listen to me" or whatever. If still no response, spam away, then change name.
If its a direct insult to you, like when a while ago someone was named "gunther sucks B--D" or some crap. So, in the case of direct insult, rename immediately.
If they rename themselves back, improvise and rename them to "I Have No Name" until their name-change-count runs out. If they make more trouble...you get the idea.
tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly

Lizardwithhat
Dretch
Dretch

#7 Post by Lizardwithhat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Ok that is what I did, only spam away? And by the way after doing your steps nodnodnod went against me and made sure everyone heard, that person changed their name back BTW, He is Lizardwithpat instead of hat, an obvious copy and now I adds collars again so he added the same colors in name in same order

Lizardwithhat
Dretch
Dretch

#8 Post by Lizardwithhat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Ok because what I wrote had too many mistakes, usually writing this stuff from mobile, what I wanted to say is that I added colors to my name and the copycat added the exact same colors in the exact same order, people say you should not care, laugh about it etc. and I do, one guy now calls himself Wizardwithcat which I find funny and don't care, we even made jokes together, because there is no way people would mix that up, good I now have like 5 Admins backing me up on this, next time I don't care what nod says I will do what I think and everyone agrees with is right, Gunthers steps is exactly what I did and will do next time. Thanks Gunther

[{USATREM}] !Gunther!
Dragon
Dragon

#9 Post by [{USATREM}] !Gunther! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm

In a nutshell, if it's personally offending or irritating you in some way, then you can act accordingly, whether by talking or eventual renaming. Likewise for other players as well.
RCZ Rules wrote: rename
Use to change players' offensive/bad names.
tremulous |ˈtremyələs|
Adjective
Definition:
1. shaking
2. quivering slightly

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#10 Post by epicaldude » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:35 pm

yalt. wrote:Imposters are a serious problem. Some guy named himself yaIt. You see it if u use /listplayers but somehow the typo in mainchat and highscores show "yalt" cause "I" looks like "l". I ignore this assbag but he likes to behave like an assholes sometimes and ruines my reputation. This happens also to ams.
This is a very Serious problem indeed.

Of grave importance to the matters of universes.

Maybe we should hire some thugs to arrest and/or beat up the infringerers - I heard that USA FBI agents are able and willing to attack other countries to stop this type of warcrime, just ask Kim dot Com of megaupload.
Image Image

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#11 Post by epicaldude » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:38 pm

[{USATREM}] !Gunther! wrote:If it happened to me, I would ask them. As in: "Why are you mocking my name?"
If they do not respond, I would use /warn "Player" "Listen to me" or whatever. If still no response, spam away, then change name.
If its a direct insult to you, like when a while ago someone was named "gunther sucks B--D" or some crap. So, in the case of direct insult, rename immediately.
If they rename themselves back, improvise and rename them to "I Have No Name" until their name-change-count runs out. If they make more trouble...you get the idea.
This nicely suplements the just reported admin abuse by you Gunther.

Where from did you got all the wrong impression that you should do any of the above? You are admin, not the holly king of server.
Gunthers steps is exactly what I did and will do next time. Thanks Gunther
Why are any of this 2 admin?
Image Image

Lizardwithhat
Dretch
Dretch

#12 Post by Lizardwithhat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 am

Actually you are wrong epicdude, 5 other admins agreed with this procedure, one doesn't and the rest I have not seen online or heard of in comments etc. Actually 6 including Gunther, wait a minute I forgot to count myself, 7 Admins agreed on this.

epicaldude
Server supporter
Server supporter

#13 Post by epicaldude » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am

Lizardwithhat wrote:Actually you are wrong epicdude, 5 other admins agreed with this procedure, one doesn't and the rest I have not seen online or heard of in comments etc. Actually 6 including Gunther, wait a minute I forgot to count myself, 7 Admins agreed on this.
Really we have 7 idiot admins? That is highly dissapointing.

When did everyone got thething'ed in their brain?

If any of you would pay attention or be in IRC and ask server owner, it was already decided that name prefixing / clan tags etc are not going to be enforced for now.

Maybe one day we will have reserving of clan tags (as we now have reserving of admin names) but even that is NOT a restriction on funny/similar names.
Image Image

iain
Granger
Granger

#14 Post by iain » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 pm

epicaldude wrote:
Lizardwithhat wrote:Actually you are wrong epicdude, 5 other admins agreed with this procedure, one doesn't and the rest I have not seen online or heard of in comments etc. Actually 6 including Gunther, wait a minute I forgot to count myself, 7 Admins agreed on this.
Really we have 7 idiot admins? That is highly dissapointing.

When did everyone got thething'ed in their brain?

If any of you would pay attention or be in IRC and ask server owner, it was already decided that name prefixing / clan tags etc are not going to be enforced for now.

Maybe one day we will have reserving of clan tags (as we now have reserving of admin names) but even that is NOT a restriction on funny/similar names.
That is true.

If however somebody had a name intetionally victimising somebody, I would take action.

[rage]gareth
Dretch
Dretch

#15 Post by [rage]gareth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:17 pm

i did not agree with this method of dealing with it, I do agree it is a problem, but i think there are better ways of dealing with it...

admin abuse by gunther? ... strict admin sometimes maybe, but not abuser

epical- direct quote from server rules (http://www.onlineforum.cz/rcz/rules) :

"The fact you are an admin doesn't mean that you're more important than regular players: you only have a broom with which to sweep up any mess. If you leave the mess, it's your problem; consider that if you want to become admin. "

If a normal player was having this problem, as an admin, we should feel an obligation to help fix it and if necessary use admin powers to help the situation. In this case, an admin can be considered to be equal to a normal player (hence the quote from the rules), therefore admins should still help fix this problem and if necessary use admin powers.

I will say again, i do not think that the approach suggested by gunther is necessarily the best approach, however i do agree that something should be done.
grangers FTW :D